P.R.A.D.E.

Monday, May 02, 2005

View the News

Other than the Daily Show, I get all my news from the internet. I like being able to choose my source, and then investigate stories further on my own in real time.

However, most news sites are somewhat simple in their layout, with more space dedicated to ads than to images and content. However, Newsmap (Marumushi's graphical Google News aggregator) certainly paints a more interesting picture of the news on my screen. The application uses a specialized treemap visualization algorithm to display the latest Google News updates in visual bands that often reveal links and connections in coverage of the news by media sources.

"It's objective is to simply demonstrate visually the relationships between data and the unseen patterns in news media. It is not thought to display an unbiased view of the news, on the contrary it is thought to ironically accentuate the bias of it."



Although my BBC RSS feed is a little easier for quick updates on the latest stories, Newsmap is a cool application for bringing the latest international headlines into a new context. I also recommend SharpReader for anyone trying to stay abreast of the latest developments in anything - from politics to design blogs! You can even subscribe to PRADE's RSS Feed. It's an easy tool to learn, and makes navigating the blogsphere much easier.

Josh Rubin hipped me to Newsreader. Chris Abraham blessed me with SharpReader.

1 comment(s):

  • Just downloaded and installed SharpReader. What a great program. Thanks for the tip.

    By Blogger Andrew Roberts, at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home