P.R.A.D.E.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Scion Dashboard: San Francisco

Scion recently opened set up shop on Hayes St in San Francisco, opening up a gallery space for one month that will have weekly showcases of some of the most promising emerging artists.

There is a Saturday opening night event every week, and I went last Saturday to drink Heineken and wax intellectual with the hipsters and indie rockers. Apparently, you really shouldn't come in unless you have tattoos, cool sneakers, and some type of hat. I squeaked in because I went with two girls, and combined the three of us met all of the prerequisites (because you know my sneaker game is tight).

Below is by far the coolest piece I saw at the show - and to be honest, one of the most disturbingly original pieces I've seen. The artist's name is Michael Hussar.



All in all, it was a great event - good music, free beer, and plenty of people watching to undertake. While Scion is obviously trying hard to associate their brand with the cutting edge of the art world, I think they tastefully reserved their marketing efforts and let the art take the main stage.

Tons more info here and here.

There are two more opening night events left, so if you are in the area, definitely try to make it out ot Hayes St. Although, I suggest making sure to come correct with your tats, hats, and kicks.

1 comment(s):

  • Scion's marketing campaign baffles me. I first noticed their marketing at all of the underground hip hop shows which seemed curious to me because most hip hop heads I know can't afford a $15,000 car. Same goes for art openings. People go for free beer. People who seek out free drinks aren't generally in the market for new cars. Scion has my gratitude for bringing free shows by Femi Kuti and Wu-Tang to Austin but I still think they're punks.

    Misprintmagazine.com said it best:
    "Just because a car company brings MF Doom to your town does not mean the decrepit, cracker-ass dude who runs this company is down with your subculture. It means he's exploiting it. Go to the show if you must, but for God's sake, do not spend $15,000 on this faux-futuristic piece of shit."


    By Blogger Thomas, at 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home