P.R.A.D.E.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Tipping Point

I am somewhat of a literature snob. I generally refuse to read books that haven't been around for more than 20 or so years to avoid reading the serial crap that seems to pervade book stores recently. It generally allows me to avoid the pitfalls of wasting my time and money on "page turners" like the DaVinci Code and Insert Generic Crime/Courtroom Thriller Novel Here. I do make exceptions for specific authors or personal recommendations from people who's opinion I trust. (If you have to ask, you are probably not one of those people)

I also avoid self-help books and non-fiction books from the latest author who claims to have some intrinsic understanding of the cultural moment. I just prefer to see how these theories stand the test of time before investing myself in reading about them.

Well one book I never got around to reading was
The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell's book that examines patterns of social and cultural change using the intellectual framework of epidemiology - the study of epidemics. Well, lucky for me, someone has posted an outline version of the entire book that allows you to investigate Galdwell's theories and examples quickly and easily before committing to launch into reading the book. It's like the Cliffs Notes version - and we all know how easy it was to write a book report on something after only reading the Cliffs Notes!

While on the subject, one of these type of cultural analysis books I did read and do recommend is Susan Blackmore's
The Meme Machine, as it is a great introduction to the very compelling field of memetics. What is memetics you ask? The study of memes. What is a meme? Well, why don't you read the book!

Outlined Tipping Point is via
Kotkette

1 comment(s):

  • Another friend just mentioned that book too. I expect a full book report on Nobody Likes Weez in the coming weeks

    By Blogger Paul, at 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home