P.R.A.D.E.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Museum Spaces

I've been travelling like a mad man the past three weekends, but this weekend I'll be staying right here in the uurrrrea. What better way to spend a lazy Saturday in DC than by checking out one of the Museums on the Mall. I'm thinking of heading over to the Corcoran to finally check out FRANK GEHRY, architect: designs for MUSEUMS before it closes on March 21st.

In addition to Gehry's completed museum works, the exhibit features his as-yet-unrealized plans for the
Corcoran Gallery of Art, DC; Guggenheim Museum, New York, NY; Ohr-O’Keefe Museums, Biloxi, MS; and MARTa Herford, Herford, Germany.

Regardless of your opinion of Gehry's often flashy exteriors, I am glad that he challenges the old notion of a museum as just a container of objects, forcing us to look at how the architecture of a museum can interact with its objects and visitors. I will say that his plan for the Corcoran extension will defintiely stick out in DC!




2 comment(s):

  • My brother "hipped" me out to his work. There is a great page with a biography and all of his previous work over at arcspace.com.

    http://www.arcspace.com/gehry_new/


    By Blogger Andrew Roberts, at 8:40 AM  

  • Here is a page all about the MARTA project in Germany. Thanks to Manfred

    http://www.marta-herford.de/


    By Blogger Paul, at 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home